themcglynn.com

03 Jan

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

Damn The War Criminals,

Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld,Wolfowitz, Powell and Blair from England.

.

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry.

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

visit-ti-arlington.jpg

The McGlynn

War News

AP: Fighting among rebels in northern Syria kills dozens

BEIRUT (AP) — Two days of fighting in rebel-held parts of northern Syria killed dozens of people as al-Qaida-linked militants press their offensive against Turkey-backed rebels, a war monitor and activists said Wednesday.

The new wave of fighting comes after President Donald Trump’s abrupt announcement in mid-December that he was withdrawing 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria and Turkish threats to carry out a military operation against Kurdish fighters.

With their offensive, the al-Qaida-linked fighters are trying to cut off Turkey-backed fighters in the northern enclave of Afrin from those in the northwestern province of Idlib, amid concerns that Turkey might make a deal with Russia at the expense of the extremists, said Rami Abdurrahman who heads the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

“They are trying to say we are present and no one should ignore us,” he said of the al-Qaida-linked fighters.

The al-Qaida-linked Levant Liberation Committee and the Turkey-backed Nour el-Din el-Zinki group blamed each other for triggering the fighting, the worst in nearly three months.

The Observatory said two days of fighting in the provinces of Aleppo and Idlib have killed 31 people, including five civilians. Also killed were 14 al-Qaida-linked fighters and 12 Turkey-backed gunmen.

The government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media said al-Qaida-linked fighters are now in full control of the strategic town of Daret Azzeh and have also captured the villages of Kafrantin, Fadra, Houta and Mkalbis.

The Levant Liberation Committee said Nour el-Din el-Zinki militants shot dead five people, including four of its fighters, last week. It added that a local court released an official with the Nour el-Din el-Zinki after questioning him leading to tensions in the area.

Abdurrahman said al-Qaida-linked HTS took the killing as a pretext to launch its attack.

Also Wednesday, French President Emmanuel Macron said the fight against terrorism in Syria and the Mideast must continue. The remarks came in a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin. According to a statement from the French presidency, Macron called on “avoiding any new destabilization” in the region.

Read Full Article>>

GUARD: Yemen: Houthi rebels’ food aid theft only tip of iceberg, officials say

Questions over relief effort multiply as it emerges aid officials knew for months of armed groups diverting food

The theft of food aid in Yemen by Houthi rebels might be only the tip of the iceberg, officials believe, as questions multiply over international relief efforts in the famine-ravaged country.

It has emerged that aid officials have been aware for months that armed groups – most prominently Houthi rebels in the capital, Sana’a – have been diverting food aid into the key areas they control, including by manipulating data in malnutrition surveys used by the UN.

Officials concede that difficulties with access to many areas in Yemen under Houthi control, and aid agencies’ reliance on Houthi officials to collect much of the hunger data, have left them vulnerable to falsification.

Houthi officials have vociferously denied the allegations of food theft in Sana’a, disclosed on Monday. Aid workers who spoke to the Guardian anonymously in December detailed similar concerns about food diversion.

The allegations come in the midst of a fragile ceasefire between the Saudi-led coalition, which backs the official government, and Houthi rebels, in a conflict that has left 16 million people facing severe food insecurity. The World Food Programme is supplying about eight million of them with monthly aid.

The latest claims go a long way towards explaining the stark disparities in the UN’s official famine data for Yemen in comparison to assessments provided by other international aid groups, which have been warning of a much more serious crisis facing the country.

Read Full Article>>

REU: Kurdish fighters pull out of flashpoint town: Syria’s defense ministry

BEIRUT (Reuters) – A convoy of Syrian Kurdish fighters has pulled out of the flashpoint area of Manbij in northern Syria, close to territory controlled by Turkey, Syria’s defense ministry said on Wednesday.

Some 30 km (20 miles) from the Turkish border, the town occupies a critical spot on the map of the Syrian conflict, near the junction of three separate blocks of territory that form spheres of Russian, Turkish and – for now – U.S. influence.

“According to information, approximately 400 Kurdish fighters have left Manbij so far,” the Syrian defense ministry said. Their departure was in line with an agreement “for the return of normal life to the area of northern Syria,” it said.

The ministry showed online a video of dozens of vehicles traveling along an unmade road carrying armed fighters, some waving the flags of the Kurdish-led People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia and its female counterpart the YPJ.

The YPG is the strongest element in the Syrian Defense Forces (SDF), a coalition of militias that the United States has backed in its campaign against Islamic State, helping it capture swathes of north and east Syria.

Read Full Article>>

REU: Trump gives no timetable for Syria exit; wants to protect Kurds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday the United States would get out of Syria slowly “over a period of time” and would protect the U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters in the country as Washington draws down troops.

Trump did not provide a timetable for the planned military exit from Syria, which he announced last month against the advice of top national security aides and without consulting lawmakers or U.S. allies participating in anti-Islamic State operations.

The decision prompted Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to resign. Trump said on Wednesday he had essentially fired Mattis, whose letter of resignation was seen as a sharp rebuke to the Republican president.

During a Cabinet meeting at the White House in front of reporters, Trump said he had never set a reported four-month timetable for the withdrawal of 2,000 American troops stationed in Syria amid a battle against Islamic State militants.

Read Full Article>>

NYT: Taliban Kill 8 Police in Northern Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan — An Afghan official says the Taliban killed eight police in an attack on their post in the provincial capital of the northern Baghlan province.

Safdar Mooseni, the head of the provincial council, says police battled the insurgents for four hours before reinforcements arrived and repulsed the Taliban onslaught, which also wounded two police. The Taliban claimed the attack.

Afghanistan’s beleaguered security forces come under near daily attack by the Taliban, who control nearly half the country. Afghanistan’s generals fear that the partial withdrawal of American troops by the summer will further embolden the insurgents.

Washington’s peace envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, is meanwhile stepping up efforts to negotiate an end to the 17-year war, America’s longest.

Read Full Article>>

11 Taliban militants killed, 7 wounded in Faryab province: 209 Shaheen Corps

By Khaama Press / in Afghanistan / on Thursday, 03 Jan 2019

At least eleven militants were killed and seven others were wounded during a clash and an airstrike in northern Faryab province of Afghanistan.

The 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan Military in the North said a clash broke out between Taliban militants and security forces in Arklik area of Qaisar district last night.

According to a statement released by 209th Shaheen Corps, the incident took place at around 8:10 pm local time, leaving at least eight militants dead and seven others wounded.

The statement further added that the Afghan Air Force also carried out an airstrike in Garziwan district of Faryab, leaving three militants dead.

Two fighting positions of Taliban militants were also destroyed during the same airstrike, the 209th Shaheen Corps added.

Faryab is among the relatively volatile provinces in North of Afghanistan. Taliban militants are active in some remote districts of the province and often attempt to carry out attacks against the government and security forces.

Security forces and Taliban suffer heavy casualties in Pul-e-Khumri city clash

By Khaama Press / in Afghanistan / on Thursday, 03 Jan 2019

A clash broke out between the security forces and Taliban militants in Pul-e-Khumri city, the provincial capital of northern Baghlan province of Afghanistan.

The local officials confirm that the clash broke out after Taliban militants attacked the security check posts in the city late on Wednesday night, inflicting heavy casualties on both sides.

Provincial governor Abdulhai Nemati has said at least ten security personnel have lost their lives in the clash.

Nemati further added that the Taliban militants have also sustained heavy casualties but did not elaborate further regarding the exact casualties’ toll of the militants.

The Taliban group spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claims that twenty soldiers have been killed and twenty check posts have been destroyed along with several weapons.

But the governor of Baghlan confirms that two check posts were destroyed and ten policemen lost their lives in the attack.

In the meantime, another security source says at least eleven policemen have lost their lives in last night’s clash.

Casualties, Exclusive of Civilians

Recent Casualties

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

Sgt. Jason Mitchell McClary, 24, from Export, Pennsylvania, died Dec. 2, 2018, in Landstuhl, Germany, as a result of injuries sustained from an improvised explosive device on Nov. 27, 2018, in Andar District, Ghazni Province, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation.

McClary was assigned to 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colorado.

 

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Care for Veterans:

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD Program Locator to find a PTSD program.

If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

 

FILE PHOTO: A doctor checks a cholera-infected child in a treatment ward at al-Sabeen hospital in Sanaa, Yemen, November 12, 2018. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah/File Photo

Yemen Child

Please do not forget the children.

The McGlynn

Share

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

© 2019 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo