themcglynn.com

27 Nov

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

Damn The War Criminals,Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Powell and Blair from England.

.

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry.

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

visit-ti-arlington.jpg

The McGlynn

War News

Photos Iraq War Children

Pictures by Corporal MIKE PRYSNER, US Military Iraq War Veteran

REU: UNICEF, WHO launch polio vaccination campaign in Yemen

SANAA (Reuters) – Aid agencies have launched a polio vaccination campaign in Yemen to inoculate up to five million children under the age of five across the impoverished Arab state whose healthcare system has been crippled by more than three years of war.

The three-day campaign which began on Monday is organized by the U.N. children’s agency UNICEF, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the health ministry of the Houthi movement which controls most population centers in the country where millions face starvation, making them more vulnerable to diseases.

“The campaign comes at a very critical time,” said Meritxell Relano, UNICEF’s representative in Yemen.

“The lack of a fully functional healthcare system and widespread malnutrition have drastically increased the risk of preventable diseases.

“It’s very important that all the parties to the conflict allow unhindered access to enable us to reach all children, from north to south, east to west, with this vital vaccine.”

A Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015 against the Iranian-aligned Houthi movement to restore the internationally recognized government, causing the world’s most pressing humanitarian crisis.

Save the Children said last week that an estimated 85,000 children under the age of five may have died from extreme hunger………………..Yemen is home to the world’s worst cholera outbreak, with 10,000 suspected cases reported per week, the WHO said last month.

It said 16 percent of Yemen’s cholera cases were in the main port city of Hodeidah, the focus of the war, where only half the health facilities are operational.

Read full story »

AP: Afghan officials: Taliban attacks kill 20 police, 10 troops

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A Taliban ambush of a police convoy in western Afghanistan killed 20 policemen while 10 troops died in an insurgent attack on an army checkpoint in the north, Afghan officials said Monday as minority Shiites took to the streets in Kabul for the second day to protest the arrest of local militia commander.

During the demonstrations in the Afghan capital, the protesters opened fire at the police, wounding four policemen. Deputy interior minister Gen. Akhtar Mohammad Ibrahimi said 44 policemen were also injured when protesters hurled stones and other hard objects at them.

The Taliban ambush took place in western Farah province on Sunday afternoon. Along with 20 policemen killed, four were wounded, including the deputy provincial police chief, said Dadullah Qaneh, a member of the provincial council.

The convoy was on its way to the district of Lash wa Juwayn to introduce newly appointed district police chief when it came under attack, said another council member, Abdul Samad Salehi. The newly appointed chief was also killed, said Qaneh.

In northern Faryab province, the Taliban attacked an army check point in Qaisar district, killing 10 troops, said Mohammad Tahir Rahmani, head of the provincial council. Three soldiers were wounded while the fate of five others was unknown.

The Taliban, who in recent years have taken over nearly half of Afghanistan, claimed responsibility for the Farah attack, the latest in a series of brutal, near-daily Taliban assaults on Afghan military and security forces throughout the country. The insurgents made no statement on the Faryab assault.

The Taliban view the U.S.-backed government in Kabul as a dysfunctional Western puppet and have refused repeated offers to negotiate with it.

The protesters in western Kabul were rallying to denounce the arrest of Abdul Ghani Alipoor, a Shiite militia leader in western Ghor province. The Afghan intelligence service accuses Alipoor of leading an illegal armed group that is behind extortion and other mafia-like behavior in the region.

Read full story »

NYT: U.S. and Czech Troops Investigated for Death of Afghan Prisoner

WASHINGTON — American and Czech forces are under investigation for the death of an Afghan commando who was beaten while in NATO custody in western Afghanistan, American and Afghan officials said, demonstrating the tensions that have grown among military forces after 17 years of war.

The commando, Wahidullah Khan, was accused of killing a Czech soldier last month in one of four deadly insider attacks this year by Afghan forces on NATO troops.

One American official said a team from the Army’s 7th Special Forces Group, which helped transfer Mr. Khan to the custody of Czech soldiers, has been withdrawn from Afghanistan as the investigation continues. It is not clear, however, if any American soldiers participated in the beating of Mr. Khan.

Col. Dave Butler, a spokesman for the American-led mission in Afghanistan, acknowledged the investigation but declined to provide details.

The American military “will investigate to determine whether any potential misconduct occurred, and we will hold individuals accountable, as appropriate,’’ Colonel Butler said in a statement on Monday.

Jan Pejsek, a spokesman for the Czech Ministry of Defense, said in an email on Monday that “we strongly deny any such accusations” that Czech troops were involved in Mr. Khan’s death. “There is an ongoing standard investigation regarding the insider attack incident. All respective parties are involved in the procedures,” Mr. Pejsek said……………..Wakil Ahmad Karokhi, a member of the Herat provincial council, said he did not know whether Czech or American forces struck Mr. Khan.

“From what we know, that soldier died of torture,” Mr. Karokhi said. “He was beaten up before being handed over to Afghan forces.”

A picture of Mr. Khan after his death was given to The New York Times by his family. It shows extensive blunt force trauma to Mr. Khan’s face and head, according to James Gill, the chief medical examiner for the state of Connecticut, whom The Times asked to examine the photo.

“When we washed him, he had no bullet wounds but his entire body was bruised,” said Sayd Rahman, Mr. Khan’s father.

Read full story »

NYT: Afghan Militia Commander Released After Arrest Sparks Protests

KABUL — An Afghan militia commander arrested over allegations of serious human rights abuses was released on Monday following two days of protests in which dozens of police were wounded, officials said.

Alipur, an anti-Taliban commander from the mainly Shi’ite Hazara minority, was detained in Kabul weeks after an earlier attempt to arrest him in the western province of Ghor ended in a shootout in which at least 12 people were killed.

His arrest set off two days of protests in which dozens of police were wounded by rocks, at least eight security checkpoints and recruiting centers were burned and 19 vehicles damaged, according to the interior ministry.

“A consultation meeting took place today and it was agreed to release him if he guarantees that he won’t break the law again,” said a senior government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media…………………..The decision to let Alipur go underlines the struggle Afghanistan’s Western-backed government has had in reining in politically-connected militia commanders that operate outside its control. It also highlights the risk of fragmentation along ethnic and sectarian lines in Afghanistan, even as hopes have been raised of a possible start to peace talks with the Taliban.

“It is very sad to see people like Alipur bailed out and the government succumbing to pressure,” one security official said.

“It is going to turn into a pattern where even if the security forces arrest a wanted criminal, the government just frees them,” he said. “Security forces will lose faith in the government.”

Read full story »

Over 50 arrested in connection to unrest during Kabul protests

The Minister of Interior Wais Ahmad Barmak says more than 50 people have been arrested in connection to unrest during the recent protests in Kabul.

Barmak made the remarks during a session of the Upper House of Parliament in which the security sector officials were summoned to brief the Senators.

He said the police forces must be informed regarding any planned protests of demonstrations emphasizing that such movements would deemed illegal without coordinating with the police forces.

This comes as hundreds of residents of Kabul city protested against the arrest of a local uprising commander Alipur alias commander Shamsher in Kabul on Sunday and Monday.

Kabul Police Chief Gen. Syed Mohammad Roshandil had earlier said that the protests and rallies were organized without informing the police force which resulted in unrest in certain parts of the city.

The security officials are saying at least twenty policemen sustained injuries after the protests turned violent in west of the city.

Read full story »

16 militants killed, wounded in Nawid-25 operations in Balkh province

At least sixteen militants were killed or wounded during a raid conducted by the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces in northern Balkh province of Afghanistan.

The 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan Military in the North in a statement said the raid was conducted in Chahar Bolak district as part of the ongoing Nawid-25 operations.

The statement further added at least six militants were killed and ten others were wounded during the raid in Zekzek and Nawarid Zekzek villages of the district.

According to 209th Shaheen Corps, the Afghan forces also discovered a BM-1 warhead and a landmine during the raid which were later defused.

The anti-government armed militants including Taliban have not commented regarding the raid so far.

Balkh was among the relatively calm provinces in North of Afghanistan but the security situation in some of its districts has started to deteriorate during the recent years.

The anti-government armed militants are active in some remote districts of Balkh where they occasionally conduct terrorist related activities.

Read full story »

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo