themcglynn.com

04 Aug

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

Damn The War Criminals

The war criminals, Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Powell and Blair from England.

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry.

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

The McGlynn

War News

REU: WHO warns of new Yemen cholera surge, asks for ceasefire to vaccinate

GENEVA (Reuters) – Yemen may be on the brink of a new cholera epidemic, with a heightened death rate due to widespread malnutrition, and the United Nations is hoping for a ceasefire in the north to allow for vaccinations, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

“We’ve had two major waves of cholera epidemics in recent years and unfortunately the trend data that we’ve seen in the last days to weeks suggests that we may be on the cusp of the third major wave of cholera epidemics in Yemen,” WHO emergency response chief Peter Salama told reporters in Geneva.

“We’re calling on all parties to the conflict to act in accordance with international humanitarian law and to respect the request of the U.N. and international community for three full days of tranquillity and to lay down arms to allow us to vaccinate the civilian population for cholera.”

Northern Yemen has never had an oral cholera vaccination campaign, but 3,000 healthworkers plan to vaccinate more than 500,000 people over the next three days in and around the city of Hodeidah, the Arabian Peninsula country’s main port and a key element in U.N. plans for a political solution to the war.

Read full story »

Related: Hundreds of pregnant women risk death in Yemen: U.N>>

REU: Exclusive: Despite tensions, Russia seeks U.S. help to rebuild Syria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Russia has used a closely guarded communications channel with America’s top general to propose the two former Cold War foes cooperate to rebuild Syria and repatriate refugees to the war-torn country, according to a U.S. government memo.

A boy walks along a damaged street at the city of Douma in Damascus, Syria, April 16, 2018. REUTERS/Omar Sanadiki

A boy walks along a damaged street at the city of Douma in Damascus, Syria, April 16, 2018. REUTERS/Omar Sanadiki

The proposal was sent in a July 19 letter by Valery Gerasimov, the chief of the Russian military’s General Staff, to U.S. Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, according to the memo which was seen by Reuters.

The Russian plan, which has not been previously reported, has received an icy reception in Washington. The memo said the U.S. policy was only to support such efforts if there were a political solution to end Syria’s seven-year-old civil war, including steps like U.N.-supervised elections.

The proposal illustrates how Russia, having helped turn the tide of the war in favor of President Bashar al-Assad, is now pressing Washington and others to aid the reconstruction of areas under his control. Such an effort would likely further cement Assad’s hold on power.

“The proposal argues that the Syrian regime lacks the equipment, fuel, other material, and funding needed to rebuild the country in order to accept refugee returns,” according to the memo, which specified that the proposal related to Syrian government-held areas of the country.

The United States in 2011 adopted a policy that Assad must leave power but then watched as his forces, backed by Iran and then Russia, clawed back territory and secure Assad’s position.

Read full story »

AP: UN gradually returning peacekeepers to Syria-Israel frontier

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations said Friday it is implementing “a gradual return” of the U.N. peacekeeping force to the frontier zone between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

U.N. deputy spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters that a key goal in the return of the peacekeeping force, known as UNDOF, is reopening the Quneitra crossing between the two sides.

“The ultimate goal for UNDOF is the full return, conditions permitting,” he said.

U.N. peacekeepers returned Thursday for the first time in years to the Syria-Israel frontier, conducting joint patrols with Russian military police in a reflection of Moscow’s deepening role in mediating between the decades-old foes in the volatile region.

Haq said “the Aug. 2 patrol to the Quneitra crossing point is part of UNDOF’s ongoing efforts to return incrementally to the area of separation.”

Russian military police have been deploying in all areas recaptured from rebels by the Syrian government, and they have deployed on the edge of the Israeli occupied Golan Heights in the past two days — a move that also appears aimed at reassuring Israel.

Israel considers Iran’s growing influence in Syria — it has advisers and allied militias fighting alongside Syrian troops— as an existential threat and had looked for guarantees from Moscow to push pro-Iran fighters away from its frontiers.

Read full story »

GUARD: Iraq’s war-damaged children need specialist help to heal their trauma

Billions goes on rebuilding Mosul’s shattered infrastructure. But what about the thousands of psychologically shattered children?

‘Looking at the piles of stone and twisted girders that were once homes provides a glimpse of the terror.’ Photograph: Ivor Prickett/New York/EPA

Rahaf, aged 10, from west Mosul in Iraq, can’t tell you what caused the war that left her an orphan, killed her friends and robbed her of her childhood. But she can give you a child’s-eye view of the collective trauma, grief and loss that weigh on children across her devastated city. “I wake up and I witness war every day. I don’t want to go through another war,” she says.

One year after Mosul was retaken from Islamic State by Iraqi-led forces, work has started on reconstruction. Yet for children trying to rebuild their lives, cope with loss and keep alive the hope on which the future of their city depends, the response so far has been derisory.

While aid agencies and the Iraqi government focus on rebuilding cities flattened by war, the psycho-social needs of thousands of children who suffered traumatic experiences are being sidelined.

“Flattened” doesn’t do justice to west Mosul. Crossing the old iron bridge across the Tigris into west Mosul is like entering a scene from Stalingrad or Dresden. This is where Isis fighters made their last stand. Entire districts were reduced to rubble by the explosive weapons delivered by US-led coalition airstrikes and Iraqi artillery. The nine-month assault was described by US officials as the most intense urban fighting since the second world war…………..You can’t quantify the impact of such traumatic experiences, but in a new survey from Save the Children almost half the children reported feeling grief either always or most of the time. Only 9% of those interviewed reported being able to think of a source of happiness in their lives. Only 25% of adolescents considered school a safe place – unsurprisingly given that most of the city’s schools were destroyed.

One of the most alarming findings was the degree to which children are struggling to cope. Most children reported feeling unable to talk to their carers about their distress, in part because they know their parents or relatives are not coping. “These children are at serious risk of further and long-lasting mental health issues,” says Yousra Semmache, one of the report’s authors.

Read full story »

NYT: Attackers in Burqas Kill Dozens at Shiite Mosque in Afghanistan

KHOST, Afghanistan — At least 29 people were killed when suicide bombers disguised in women’s clothing stormed a Shiite mosque in eastern Afghanistan during Friday Prayer, officials said, the latest in a series of bloody attacks on the country’s Shiite minority.

Two male attackers, wearing full-length burqas to hide explosive vests and automatic weapons, entered the mosque in the city of Gardez in Paktia Province, first firing at the worshipers and then detonating the vests, according to the Afghan police.

The spokesman for the Paktia police, Sardar Wali Tabasoom, said that guards had been posted at the mosque because of fears of such an attack. But the attackers used the burqas to get close, then shot the guards, he said.

Abdullah Hasrat, the spokesman for the governor of Paktia Province, said that 29 people were killed and 81 others wounded.

Read full story »

NYT: Suicide Bomb Attack on Afghan Shi’ite Mosque Kills 39, 80 Injured

KABUL — Thirty-nine people were killed in a suicide bombing of a Shi’ite mosque in eastern Afghanistan, and the death toll may climb further, police and government officials said on Friday.

Two burka-clad militants attacked the mosque in the city of Gardez in the province of Paktia where more than 100 people had gathered to offer prayers, said Raz Mohammad Mandozai, the police chief of Paktia.

At least 80 people were injured when the men struck with guns and explosives at the Khawaja Hassan mosque.

Gardez city hospital reported receiving at least 50 adults and 20 children wounded in the attack.

Abdullah Hazrat, a senior government official, said the militants opened fire on the worshippers and one blew himself up. Security guards stationed at the mosque gunned down the other militant.

Read full story »

Gen. Nicholson reaffirms relentless fight against terrorists after Gardez mosque bombing

The Commander of the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission and the US Forces in Afghanistan General John Nicholson says the operations will continue in pursuit of the destruction of the terrorists.

Gen. Nicholson made the remarks in a statement released after a deadly attack on a mosque in Gardez city, the provincial capital of Paktia province.

Gen. Nicholson said “The entire Resolute Support Mission offers our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those martyred and wounded today during the horrific attack at the Sahib-ul-Zaman Mosque in Gardez city.”

He said “The enemies of Afghanistan who martyr innocent Muslims in prayer can only be described as evil. We will continue to pursue these terrorists and destroy them.”

Read full story »

Top Taliban leaders among 57 killed, wounded in Kunar operations

At least 57 Taliban militants including some of their top leaders were killed or wounded during the ongoing operations in eastern Kunar province of Afghanistan.

The 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan Military in the East said the militants were killed or wounded during the ongoing operations in Asmar and Ghaziabad districts

A statement by Silab Corps said the sixth phase of Qahr Silab-2 operations kicked off on Friday night and are being conducted with the help of the artillery and close air support.

The statement further added that 51 Taliban militants including three of their key leaders were killed and at least six others sustained critical injuries.

According to Silab, the senior Taliban leaders killed during the operations have been identified as Sultan Mohammad the shadow district military chief of the group for Asmar, the group’s shadow district chief for Asmar Mawlavi Hazrat Ali, and the group’s shadow district chief for Ghaziabad Mawlavi Imran Ghazi.

Read full story »

29 killed, 81 wounded in attack by Burqa-clad suicide bombers in Gardez city

The death toll as a result of a coordinated suicide attack by the Burqa-clad suicide bombers has reached to at least 29 people, the local officials said Saturday.

According to statement released by the provincial government’s media office, at least 81 people also sustained injuries in the attack.

The statement further added that the attack was carried out on Khwaja Hasan located in the 2nd police district of the city.

Two suicide bombers who had disguised themselves in Burqas carried out the attack by initially shooting the security guards of the mosque dead, the provincial government said, adding that they detonated their explosives after intruding into the mosque compound.

The statement by the provincial government also added that children are also among those killed or wounded in yesterday’s deadly attack.

In the meantime, a security source says at least 34 people were killed and at least 94 others have sustained injuries in the attack.

Read full story »

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo