themcglynn.com

08 Jul

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

Iraq A Deadly Deception – War Documentary 2018

WAR DOCUMENTARY: IRAQ A DEADLY DECEPTION ALJAZEERA DOCUMENTARIES 2018 On the evening of 9/11, George W Bush made a vow to the American public – that he would defeat terrorism.
Unknown to those listening in shock to the presidential address, the president and his advisers had already begun planning their trajectory into an invasion of Iraq. It was packaged as “holding responsible the states who support terrorism” by Richard Perle, a Pentagon adviser between 2001 and 2003.
“I believe it represented a recognition that we would never succeed against the terrorists if we went after them one at a time and as long as governments were facilitating the organisation, training, equipping of, financing of terrorist organisations, we were never going to get it under control,” says Perle.
After 100 days spent fighting those who had become publicly accepted as the culprits – Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan – the US set the ball rolling for war against Iraq.
On the evening of 9/11 the president is saying: well, maybe we’ll be going after Iraq now and somebody said, well, that would be against international law. The president responded: I don’t care, we’re going to kick some ass.

The War Criminals

The war criminals, Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Powell  

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry. (A year ago Mr. Bush was on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” dancing and talking about his paintings.)

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

The McGlynn

War News

AP: Pope denounces ‘murderous indifference’ by powers in Mideast

BARI, Italy (AP) — Pope Francis on Saturday denounced the “murderous indifference” that has allowed violence to consume the Middle East and drive tens of thousands of Christians from their homes, calling out global powers for seeking power and profit at the expense of the region’s people during a remarkable gathering of Orthodox patriarchs and Catholic leaders.

Francis hosted the daylong ecumenical service in the Adriatic port city of Bari, considered a religious bridge between East and West and home to the relics of St. Nicholas, an important saint in the Orthodox Christian world.

Francis greeted the patriarchs outside the Basilica of St. Nicholas and together they descended to the crypt to pray before the relics and light a flame for peace symbolizing the unity of Christians divided by over 1,000 years of schism.

“We commit ourselves to walking, praying and working together, in the hope that the art of encounter will prevail over strategies of conflict,” Francis said at the end of the encounter as children released doves of peace.

For years, the Vatican has voiced concern about the plight of Christians driven from Mideast communities that date to the time of Christ. Just last week, Francis decried intensified attacks in southern Syria that killed scores of people and forced tens of thousands to flee.

The Vatican has also long sought an internationally guaranteed status for Jerusalem that safeguards its sacred character for Jews, Muslims and Christians, and has responded to the U.S. decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital by urging respect for the status quo of the holy city.

Francis denounced the “occupation” of Mideast lands, and renewed his appeal for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“So many conflicts have been stoked too by forms of fundamentalism and fanaticism that, under the guise of religion, have profaned God’s name – which is peace – and persecuted age-old neighbors,” he said.

Denouncing the weapons trade that fuels the region’s wars, he urged global powers to stop their “thirst for profit that surreptitiously exploits oil and gas fields without regard for our common home, with no scruples about the fact that the energy market now dictates the law of coexistence among peoples!”

Read full story »

AP: Officials say fighting along Yemen’s west coast kills 165

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Heavy fighting between the Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen’s Shiite rebels along the country’s west coast has killed more than 165 people from both sides, Yemeni officials said on Saturday, amid efforts by the U.N. special envoy to restart peace talks between the warring parties.

https://i2.wp.com/www.lukor.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Refugees-in-Yemen.jpg?resize=567%2C284&ssl=1

Yemen refugees LNM (Inserted by The McGlynn)

The security officials said the battles have been concentrated over the past two days in al-Tuhytat district, south of the key port city of Hodeida. It comes as Yemenis continue to flee the west coast seeking shelter in safer areas. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

Yemeni government forces, backed by air cover from the Saudi-led coalition, are seeking to expand their control along the west coast and especially in Hodeida, a vital lifeline for Yemen’s import-dependent population. The coalition had in June launched an offensive to retake the city from the rebels, known as Houthis, but paused it last week in support of the U.N. peace efforts.

The government of self-exiled Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi called for rebels’ “unconditional withdrawal” from the city. The Houthis have long refused handing over Hodeida but recently offered to submit the port to U.N. control as part of a cease-fire in the city.

U.N. Special Envoy Martin Griffiths has held talks with both sides in recent weeks in the hopes of preventing a full-scale coalition assault on Hodeida. He expressed optimism after his latest meeting with top Houthi leaders. The officials added that Griffiths is expected to hold another meeting with Hadi on Monday.

Impoverished Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war since March 2015 as the Saudi-led coalition aims to restore Hadi’s government to power.

Read full story »

ALJ: First displaced Syrians along Jordan border return home

Sources say a few families have began journey back after ceasefire deal reached between rebels and Russian negotiators.

First displaced Syrians along Jordan border return home

UNHCR: 60,000 Syrian displaced people have been stationed along the border with Jordan [Ammar Al Ali/Anadolu]

Jaber crossing, Jordan – Hours after a ceasefire deal ended more than two weeks of fierce fighting in southern Syria, the first of the thousands of families who sought shelter along the border with Jordan have started heading back to the areas they fled from.

“Displaced Syrians along the Jordanian borders have begun returning to their homes,” Ouda Shudaifat, a colonel in the Jordanian military, told Al Jazeera on Saturday.

He did not give the exact figure of people moving back to Syria’s southwestern province of Deraa, while sources at the border said they were a few.

Sources inside Syria said families began their journey overnight following Friday’s truce agreement between rebels fighting the government-led offensive and negotiators from Russia, a major ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

According to the UN’s refugee agency, UNHCR, 60,000 of the more than 320,000 people who escaped the intense battles since the launch of the push of June 19 are stationed along the border with Jordan. The rest are at the frontier with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Read full story »

AP: Syrian troops celebrate recapture of Jordan border crossing

NASEEB, Syria (AP) — Syrian soldiers fanned out across towns and villages in southern Syria Saturday, celebrating the recapture of the main border crossing with Jordan by raising portraits of President Bashar Assad and tearing down rebel flags.

Troops captured the Naseeb border crossing a day earlier following a crushing two-week military offensive, after rebels announced they had reached an agreement with Russian mediators to end the violence in the southern province of Daraa and surrender the crossing.

Some flashed victory signs and pumped fists in the air as they chanted pro-Assad slogans. A soldier could be seen hoisting the Syrian flag atop a watchtower. Another tore down the rebel flag from a building.

One officer said that troops have taken up positions along the border with Jordan and are blocking illegal crossing points.

“We have ended their existence,” he said of the rebels. “They have no future anymore, God willing.”

The crossing was once a bustling and vital artery through which Syria exported goods to Jordan and from there on to oil-rich Gulf countries. Rebels seized it in 2015, severing that lifeline and disrupting a key overland trade route also for Jordan

An Associated Press journalist escorted by the Syrian army on Saturday saw troops setting up checkpoints along the largely deserted road leading up to the crossing, full of potholes from shelling; they removed sand barriers and burnt out cars by its side.

Heavy white smoke rose from a smoldering match factory in the free zone next to the crossing. Government buildings also bore the marks of fighting and shelling. Some were partially burned, windows were broken and looting appeared to have been pervasive.

Russian military police were seen taking up positions on both sides of the border.

Syrian government forces now control all the towns and villages on the eastern side of Daraa province, including the villages of Nuaima and Saida, which sits 10 kilometers ahead of the Naseeb crossing and links the eastern and western sides of Daraa.

In one village, Saida, there were few residents two days after Syrian soldiers captured it from the rebels. Broken glass littered streets lined with bombed out houses.

“They (rebels) destroyed the town, God will punish them,” said a 50-year-old villager who returned to check on her home.

Read full story »

BBC: US service member killed in ‘insider attack’ in Afghanistan

A US service member has been killed and two others injured in what appears to be an insider attack in Afghanistan, Nato says.

The attack took place in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, a statement from the Nato-led Resolute Support mission said.

It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack, or whether they had been apprehended.

However, the statement said it was “an apparent insider attack”.

The two wounded service members are in a “stable” condition, Nato said, adding it would not be releasing any further details until next-of-kin had been informed.

But a police officer told news agency AFP the shooting happened at the airport in Tarinkot, the capital of Uruzgan province – although they were unable to confirm this detail with any Nato officials.

The Taliban have also released a statement, saying an Afghan soldier opened fire on US soldiers in Uruzgan.

The attack comes a year after three US special forces soldiers were shot dead by one of their Afghan colleagues. It was claimed by the Taliban.

However, these kind of attacks – where local troops turn on international forces and often referred to as “green on blue” incidents – are not necessarily the work of militants infiltrating the security forces.

Cultural misunderstandings and combat stress have also been named as the cause in previous attacks.

The US still has an estimated 14,000 troops in the country helping support the Afghan military, despite Nato’s combat mission in Afghanistan officially ended in 2014.

Read full story »

NYT: Afghan Official Says District Chief Killed by Roadside Bomb

KABUL, Afghanistan — An Afghan official says a district chief has been killed in a roadside bomb blast in western Ghor province.

Abdul Hai Khateby, provincial governor’s spokesman, said Saturday that Mirza Mohammad Ibrahim was targeted in Charsada district and was on duty at the time.

No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but Khateby blamed Taliban insurgents for the attack.

In eastern Ghazni province, Taliban fighters ambushed a police convoy, killing four police and wounding six others, said Arif Noori, spokesman for the governor.

Noori added that a police special forces commander was among the four killed in the attack early Saturday morning.

Read full story »

US forces conduct airstrike on a hideout of ISIS-K in Nangarhar province

The US forces based in Afghanistan have carried out an airstrike on a hideout of ISIS Khurasan in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, leaving at least four dead. The provincial government media office in a statement said the airstrike was carried out late on Saturday night in the vicinity of Achin district. The statement further .

Read full story »

Artillery strikes target Taliban militants gathering in Nangarhar province

The Afghan military carried out artillery strikes on a gathering of the Taliban militants in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, leaving at least 3 dead. The 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan Military in the East said the military personnel of the 1st Kandak, 4th Brigade of Silab Corps, carried out artillery strikes on a .

Read full story »

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Recent Casualties:

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

Spc. Gabriel D. Conde, 22, of Loveland, Colorado, was killed in action April 30 as a result of enemy small arms fire in Tagab District, Afghanistan. The incident is under investign.
Conde was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, U.S. Army Alaska, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.

Care for Veterans:

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

Share

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo