themcglynn.com

02 Jul

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

The War Criminals

The war criminals, Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Powell who sold us the war still go on doing what they do.

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry. (A year ago Mr. Bush was on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” dancing and talking about his paintings.)

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

The McGlynn

War News

NYT: In Yemen, a Pause in Fighting Raises Hopes for Peace Talks

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — When the United Arab Emirates began the battle last month to seize the strategic Yemeni port city of Al Hudaydah, Emirati officials were confident of a quick victory, brushing aside international warnings of a potential humanitarian catastrophe and boasting that their military and local proxy forces could oust the opposing Houthi rebels.

But the challenges of urban warfare have stalled the offensive, and amid a flurry of diplomatic activity aimed at stopping the impoverished Arab country’s grueling civil war, the U.A.E. temporarily halted the fight for the city, Emirati and international diplomats said on Sunday.

The battle for control of Al Hudaydah set off a major international diplomatic outcry over concern for the safety of the city’s 600,000 residents and the threat that the fighting could disrupt supply lines for urgent humanitarian assistance to eight million others in Yemen.

The United Nations has declared Yemen as the world’s worst humanitarian disaster. Aid arriving into the Red Sea port accounts for about 70 percent of imports in a country where two-thirds of the 29 million people rely on international aid.

Read full story »

GUARD: Israel deploys border reinforcements as Syrians flee strikes

Jordan is also refusing to take any more refugees as Assad regime hits rebel-held areas in Syria’s south-west

Jordanian soldiers at the border with Syria, where thousands have fled to escape the airstrikes. Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Israel has deployed artillery and armoured reinforcements along its northern border with Syria, the Israel Defence Forces said on Sunday, as tens of thousands of Syrians fled towards its borders and those of Jordan.

Russian efforts to impose a broad ceasefire in south-west Syria broke down at the weekend, prompting the Syrian regime to undertake fresh air raids. The government forces now claim to be in control of more than half of Daraa province.

The fighting is in a diplomatically delicate region, abutting both Jordan and the Israel-occupied Golan Heights. As many as 11,000 refugees had already reached the Israeli border fence on the Golan Heights on Sunday, judging it the safest place to avoid Syrian air force raids. Some of the refugees were asking Israel to protect them or even annex the territory.

The Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, discussed the humanitarian crisis in Syria during a Sunday government meeting, saying: “We will continue defending our borders, we will provide humanitarian aid as best as we can, we will not allow entry to our territories and demand strict adherence to the 1974 Agreement on Disengagement with the Syrian army.” He said he was in touch with the White House.

Read full story »

REU: UAE says pauses Hodeidah offensive for U.N. Yemen peace efforts

DUBAI (Reuters) – The United Arab Emirates said on Sunday it had halted its military campaign against the Iran-aligned Houthis for control of Yemen’s main port city of Hodeidah to support U.N. efforts to reach a political solution.

U.N. special envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, has been shuttling between the warring parties to avert an all-out attack on the port, a lifeline for millions of Yemenis. He said on Thursday that he hoped negotiations could restart in the next few weeks.

A coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the UAE launched an offensive on Hodeidah on June 12 in the largest battle of the war that the United Nations fears risks triggering a famine in Yemen where an estimated 8.4 million people are on the verge of starvation.

The frontlines have been quiet in the past week.

“We welcome continuing efforts by UN Special Envoy, Martin Griffiths, to achieve an unconditional Houthi withdrawal from Hodeida city and port. We have paused our campaign to allow enough time for this option to be fully explored. We hope he will succeed,” UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said on Twitter.

Read full story »

BBC: Taliban threaten 70% of Afghanistan, BBC finds

Taliban fighters, whom US-led forces spent billions of dollars trying to defeat, are now openly active in 70% of Afghanistan, a BBC study has found.

Months of research across the country shows that the Taliban now control or threaten much more territory than when foreign combat troops left in 2014.

The Afghan government played down the report, saying it controls most areas.

But recent attacks claimed by Taliban and Islamic State group militants have killed scores in Kabul and elsewhere.

Afghan officials and US President Donald Trump have responded by ruling out any talks with the Taliban. Last year Mr Trump announced the US military would stay in the country indefinitely.

The BBC research also suggests that IS is more active in Afghanistan than ever before, although it remains far less powerful than the Taliban.

Read full story »

BBC: Afghanistan blast: Sikhs among 19 dead in Jalalabad suicide attack

A suicide bombing in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad has killed at least 19 people, most of them members of the country’s Sikh minority.

Police said they had been travelling in a vehicle to meet President Ashraf Ghani, who is visiting Nangarhar province, when the bomber struck.

Among those killed was the only Sikh candidate who had planned to contest October’s parliamentary elections.

The Islamic State (IS) group said it carried out the attack.

Hours earlier, Mr Ghani had opened a hospital in Jalalabad during his two-day visit to Nangarhar. Officials said he was not in the area when the suicide blast occurred.

The Indian embassy in Kabul condemned the “cowardly terrorist” attack.

It confirmed that Awtar Singh Khalsa, the only Sikh candidate running in the 20 October elections, was among the dead.

“The attack underlines the need for a united global fight against international terrorism without discrimination and accountability of those who support terrorists in any manner,” the embassy tweeted.

Nangarhar health director Najibullah Kamawal told AFP news agency that 17 of the dead were Sikhs and Hindus. Another 20 people were wounded, he added.

Read full story »

NYT: Three Afghans Beheaded, School Torched in Suspected Islamic State Attack

JALALABAD, Afghanistan — Unidentified gunmen beheaded three men and torched a boys’ school in Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan late on Saturday, in an attack officials blamed on Islamic State militants.

“They brutally beheaded three attendants and set fire to the school building,” Mohammad Asif Shinwari, spokesman for the education department said, adding that the administrative offices and the school library were completely burnt.

So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came after warnings from Islamic State last month of attacks on schools in Nangarhar, on the border with Pakistan, where the militants have established their main stronghold.

In a statement, the provincial governor blamed the incident on Islamic State, which has conducted a series of brutal attacks in the province and other areas, regularly beheading victims they accuse of cooperating with the government.

Read full story »

Ex-Afghan of Minister to appear before Special Tribunal on corruption charges

A former member of the Government of National Unity will appear before a special tribunal for the first time on charges of corruption. Deputy Presidential spokesperson Shah Hussain Murtazawi informed regarding the trial of the former member of the cabinet on Sunday. In a statement posted online, Murtazwi said as part of the ongoing efforts .

Read full story »

Indian Prime Minister condemns the deadly attack in Jalalabad city

The Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has condemned the deadly attack in Jalalabd city, the provincial capital of Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. Terming the attack as an attack on the nation’s multicultural fabric, Modi said “We strongly condemn the terror attacks in Afghanistan yesterday. They are an attack on Afghanistan’s multicultural fabric.” He said India

Read full story »

Unilateral decisions regarding war, peace not to have tangible outcome: Jamiat

The Jamiat-e-Islami Party led by Salahuddin Rabbani has warned that the unilateral decisions regarding peace and war with the militant groups will not have a tangible outcome. “In all countries, war and peace are issues on which all peoples, particularly influential political movements, must decide on. Legitimacy and success of both are contingent on national .

Read full story »

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Recent Casualties:

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

Spc. Gabriel D. Conde, 22, of Loveland, Colorado, was killed in action April 30 as a result of enemy small arms fire in Tagab District, Afghanistan. The incident is under investign.
Conde was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, U.S. Army Alaska, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.

Care for Veterans:

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

 

Iraq A Deadly Deception – War Documentary 2018

WAR DOCUMENTARY: IRAQ A DEADLY DECEPTION ALJAZEERA DOCUMENTARIES 2018 On the evening of 9/11, George W Bush made a vow to the American public – that he would defeat terrorism.
Unknown to those listening in shock to the presidential address, the president and his advisers had already begun planning their trajectory into an invasion of Iraq. It was packaged as “holding responsible the states who support terrorism” by Richard Perle, a Pentagon adviser between 2001 and 2003.
“I believe it represented a recognition that we would never succeed against the terrorists if we went after them one at a time and as long as governments were facilitating the organisation, training, equipping of, financing of terrorist organisations, we were never going to get it under control,” says Perle.
After 100 days spent fighting those who had become publicly accepted as the culprits – Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan – the US set the ball rolling for war against Iraq.
On the evening of 9/11 the president is saying: well, maybe we’ll be going after Iraq now and somebody said, well, that would be against international law. The president responded: I don’t care, we’re going to kick some ass.

Share

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo