themcglynn.com

28 Jun

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

The War Criminals

The war criminals, Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Powell who sold us the war still go on doing what they do.

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry. (A year ago Mr. Bush was on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” dancing and talking about his paintings.)

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

The McGlynn

War News

AP: UN: 10,000 children killed, maimed in conflicts worldwide

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — More than 10,000 children were killed or maimed amid armed conflicts worldwide last year, while others were raped, forced to serve as armed soldiers or caught in attacks on schools and hospitals, a United Nations report said Wednesday.

A total of more than 21,000 violations of children’s right were reported in 2017 — a sharp increase from the previous year, according to the annual “Children and Armed Conflict” report.

The U.N. blames a U.S.-backed Arab coalition fighting in Yemen for at least half of the more than 1,300 child deaths or injuries recorded in that poor nation. They were victims of aerial and ground attacks by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on Houthi rebels opposed to Yemen’s internationally recognized government.

Among the casualties tallied in the report were child soldiers as young as 11 fighting in Yemen’s civil war and in other countries, the U.N. said.

“The point is, these kids should not be treated like children of a lesser God; they deserve the same rights as every kid to live their lives at least meaningfully and to be given a chance at recovery,” said Virginia Gamba, the U.N. special representative for children and armed conflict.

She said the report left U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres feeling “outraged.”

The 21,000 violations of children’s rights included 10,000 who were slain or maimed, especially in Iraq, Myanmar, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Syria and Yemen, the report said.

The total was a dramatic increase from 15,500 such cases counted in 2016. “The secretary-general is outraged at this number, a significant increase compared to previous years,” said his spokesman, Stephane Dujarric.

Read full story »

GUARD: Syria’s role in chemical weapons attacks to be investigated

The chemical weapons watchdog can now attribute blame after UK overcomes Russia’s protests

The Syrian government’s alleged role in a wave of chemical weapons attacks during the country’s civil war will be investigated, it has been confirmed.

Members of the world chemical weapons watchdog agreed to expand its powers to identify those behind the attacks in the past three years.

Meeting in the Hague, more than 140 countries affiliated to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) voted by 82 to 24 to expand the body’s powers from simply investigating whether a chemical attack had occurred, to attributing responsibility.

A challenging two thirds majority had been required, but the threshold was reached easily.

The result was hailed on Twitter by the UK ambassador to the OPCW, Peter Wilson, as “an overwhelming majority to restore the taboo against chemical weapons”.

The resolution, largely promoted by Britain and other western powers, specifically called for the OPCW to “put in place arrangements to identify the perpetrators of the use of chemical weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic by identifying and reporting on all information potentially relevant to the origin of those chemical weapons”.

Read full story »

BBC: Chemical weapons: New watchdog powers an important step

This is an important step forward for arms control.

It strengthens the unravelling consensus against the use of chemical weapons. It marks a victory for the rules-based international order, which itself is under increasing strain given the rise of populists and nationalism in many countries.

But inevitably it will prove to be a new source of tension between Russia and the West.

Until now, chemical weapons inspectors, working under the auspices of the OPCW (the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons) were in a curious position.

They could send teams to an alleged chemical weapons attack. They could take samples and draw their conclusions. They could determine whether indeed a chemical weapons incident had occurred.

But whatever evidence they turned up, they could not point the finger at a particular country or non-state actor as the perpetrator.

That was, of course, nonsense.

It was like having a detective investigate a killing, only to conclude that yes indeed, murder most foul has been committed, but then being unable to identify the likely culprit.

One way of getting around this was the so-called Joint Investigative Mechanism – a concerted effort by the OPCW and the UN to investigate some of the alleged chemical attacks in Syria…………..With its explicit mention of the Syrian attacks and a reference to the episode in Salisbury (which the British government insists involved a type of nerve agent developed in Russia), this draft text was never going to get Moscow’s backing. A rival Russian text was tabled but then withdrawn – perhaps when it became clear to its backers that they would not garner sufficient votes to derail the British proposal.

Today’s decision specifically refers to Syria – the conflict in which chemical weapons have been used most frequently in recent years. British officials believe that the OPCW’s director general now has the authority to conduct more effective investigations in that country. The agreed text also raises the possibility that the OPCW might be able to attribute blame for other attacks on which it has not yet reported.

This raises the intriguing possibility that the OPCW’s pending report on the alleged use of sarin in the Syrian town of Douma might also include some attribution of responsibility – should the use of chemical weapons indeed be proven.

Read full story »

REU: U.N. warns of huge Syria battle, Syria claims right to fight terrorism

GENEVA (Reuters) – The U.N. Syria envoy warned on Wednesday of a full-scale battle in the country’s southwest, an area covered by a “de-escalation” ceasefire agreement, but President Bashar al-Assad’s ambassador said it was the army’s duty to fight terrorism anywhere.

Envoy Staffan de Mistura, briefing the United Nations Security Council on setting up a Syrian constitutional committee, said the modest political achievement risked being overtaken by the escalation in fighting.

“We see a full-scale ground offensive and aerial bombardment, as well as exchanges of fire from both sides,” he said, speaking by videolink from Geneva.

He warned that the battle could affect a population and an area similar to the total affected by the battles for eastern Ghouta and Aleppo combined, naming perhaps the two biggest and bloodiest campaigns of the seven-year war.

The Security Council could not allow another battle of such magnitude, he added.

Syrian Ambassador Bashar al-Ja’afari accused de Mistura of making a dangerous statement by telling the Council what it would allow. “Is this within the mandate of the special envoy, your excellencies?” he asked diplomats in the chamber……………..“To be clear, the unilateral operations underway by the Assad regime and Russia in southwest Syria represent a violation of the ceasefire arrangement reaffirmed by President Trump and President Putin,” Cohen said.

Read full story »

AP: Syrian refugees living in Lebanon start returning to Syria

ARSAL, Lebanon (AP) — Women and children crammed in the back of pick-up trucks piled high with mattresses and blankets, dozens of Syrian refugees in Lebanon began crossing the border Thursday, heading back home to an uncertain future in war-torn Syria.

The small exodus is part of a repatriation that the government says is voluntary — the first batch of refugees to return to Syria from the Lebanese border town of Arsal. About 470 Syrians are expected to make the crossing on Thursday, after having requested permission from the Lebanese and Syrian governments.

Khaled Abdul-Aziz, a Syrian who heads the returnees committee said another 472 are scheduled to return on Friday. He said a total of 3,194 refugees have registered to return, adding that after this week’s crossings, the rest will head back in batches the coming weeks.

The repatriation comes amid a row between the Lebanese government and the U.N. refugee agency, which Beirut accuses of trying to discourage refugees from returning home. UNHCR has rejected the charges.

In Arsal, the refugees gathered in the town’s Wadi Hmeid area where a Lebanese security officer first checked their IDs against a list, before allowing them to cross into Syria.

Most of those returning are farmers and their families, some on pickup trucks and tractors.

“I cannot describe my happiness, I’m returning to my country after five years and will see my parents for the first time in five years,” said Hanadi Massoud, who was going back with her husband, three daughters and mother in law.

The family had been in Lebanon since 2013. They are now returning to their hometown of Jarajeer in the Qalamoun region, which returned to government control gradually in 2014 and 2015.

Read full story »

AP: Aid groups urge Jordan to open border to fleeing Syrians

BEIRUT (AP) — International aid organizations sounded the alarm Wednesday for the fate of thousands of desperate Syrians fleeing the onslaught of President Bashar Assad’s forces in southwestern Syria, urging neighboring countries to take them in.

The calls come as Jordan has said it will not open its borders to the Syrians, asking instead the United Nations to provide them with security within their home country. The U.N., meanwhile, said that up to 50,000 have already been displaced by the fighting — including 20,000 children and their families, in just three days.

Jordan, the small neighboring country with a population of over 9 million, has 660,000 registered Syrian refugees and estimates that many more live in the kingdom without having registered. Israel has not commented of the wave of displacement, although Syrian residents said many of the displaced have sought refuge near the frontier with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

“We are receiving reports about people fleeing as the front lines shift,” Robert Mardini, the regional chief for the International Committee of the Red Cross. “We ask those fighting and neighboring countries to facilitate civilians’ access to safety and essential services, including life-saving medical care. Civilians should, as always, have options to flee the violence and seek refuge and protection.”

The U.N. said over 30,000 of the nearly 50,000 displaced have headed to villages in the south near the border with Jordan. Another 12,000 to 15,000 headed to the Quneitra governorate, close to the frontier of the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

The Norwegian Refugee Council specifically urged Jordan to take in thousands of Syrians, saying they have “nowhere else to turn” as they flee Assad’s forces, which began their offensive in southern Daraa province on June 19, shattering a year-long truce.

The aid group, however, cautioned that Jordan, which already hosts hundreds of thousands of Syrians, cannot be expected to shoulder the burden alone.

Read full story »

REU: Iraq finds bodies of security men kidnapped by Islamic State

BAQUBA, Iraq (Reuters) – Iraqi security forces have found the bodies of eight men, two days after a deadline set by their Islamic State kidnappers expired, a local commander told Reuters on Wednesday.

The militants had kidnapped members of Iraq’s security forces and showed six of them in a video posted online on Saturday, threatening to kill them within three days if the government did not release female Sunni Arab prisoners.

The bodies were found mutilated and rigged with explosives, said Lieutenant General Muzher al-Azawi, Commander of Diyala Operations………….Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared final victory over the hardline Sunni militants in December but the group still operates from pockets along the border with Syria and has continued to carry out ambushes, assassinations and bombings across Iraq.

There has been an uptick in attacks by the group in recent weeks, especially on a highway connecting the capital Baghdad with the country’s north where the men had been taken.

Read full story »

Airstrikes target Taliban gathering in Faryab province

The Taliban militants suffered casualties during the airstrikes targeting a gathering of the militants in northern Faryab province of Afghanistan. The 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan Military in the North said the airstrikes were carried out in the vicinity of Khwaja Sabs Posh district. A statement by the Shaheen Corps stated that a large .

Read full story »

Deadly blast rips through the gathering of youths in Logar province

A deadly blast ripped through a gathering of youths supporting peace process in central Maidan Wardak province of Afghanistan. The 203rd Thunder Corps of the Afghan Military in the Southeast said the incident has taken place in the vicinity of Charkh district. A statement by the Thunder Corps stated that a number of youths had .

Read full story »

Taliban suffer heavy casualties in Ghazni airstrikes

The Taliban militants suffered heavy casualties during the airstrikes conducted by the Afghan Air Force in southeastern Ghazni province of Afghanistan. The 203rd Thunder Corps of the Afghan Military in the Southeast said the Afghan Air Forces carried out a series of airstrikes on Taliban positions in Andar district, leaving at least sixteen militants dead .

Read full story »

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Recent Casualties:

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

Spc. Gabriel D. Conde, 22, of Loveland, Colorado, was killed in action April 30 as a result of enemy small arms fire in Tagab District, Afghanistan. The incident is under investign.
Conde was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, U.S. Army Alaska, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.

Care for Veterans:

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

 

Iraq A Deadly Deception – War Documentary 2018

WAR DOCUMENTARY: IRAQ A DEADLY DECEPTION ALJAZEERA DOCUMENTARIES 2018 On the evening of 9/11, George W Bush made a vow to the American public – that he would defeat terrorism.
Unknown to those listening in shock to the presidential address, the president and his advisers had already begun planning their trajectory into an invasion of Iraq. It was packaged as “holding responsible the states who support terrorism” by Richard Perle, a Pentagon adviser between 2001 and 2003.
“I believe it represented a recognition that we would never succeed against the terrorists if we went after them one at a time and as long as governments were facilitating the organisation, training, equipping of, financing of terrorist organisations, we were never going to get it under control,” says Perle.
After 100 days spent fighting those who had become publicly accepted as the culprits – Osama bin Laden, al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan – the US set the ball rolling for war against Iraq.
On the evening of 9/11 the president is saying: well, maybe we’ll be going after Iraq now and somebody said, well, that would be against international law. The president responded: I don’t care, we’re going to kick some ass.

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo