themcglynn.com

28 Sep

News and Analyses, A Foreign Perspective

tg

Leading political figure served twice as prime minister, once as president and won Nobel peace prize

Son Chemi announces the death of former Israeli leader Shimon Peres, calling him a man who devoted 70 years to the public service of Israel as one of its founding fathers. ‘He worked tirelessly for Israel from the very first day of the state to the last day of his life,’ he said, adding that his father would tell him: ‘You are only as great as the cause you serve.’


Shimon Peres, one of Israel’s defining political figures and a Nobel peace prize laureate, has died at the age of 93, two weeks after having a stroke.

Peres had twice served as prime minister of Israel and later as the country’s ninth president. He had been seriously ill on a respirator in an Israeli hospital near Tel Aviv and died after his condition deteriorated sharply.

His defining achievement was as one of the key architects of the Oslo peace accords, for which he was jointly awarded the Nobel peace prize with the then Israeli prime minister, Yitzhak Rabin, and Yasser Arafat, the chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organisation.

Peres’s death was formally confirmed on Wednesday morning by his son Chemi in a news conference at the hospital where his father had been treated.

“Today with deep sorrow we bid farewell to our beloved father, the ninth president of Israel,” he said. “Our father’s legacy has always been to look to tomorrow. We were privileged to be part of his private family, but today we sense that the entire nation of Israel and the global community share this great loss. We share this pain together.”

Reports in the Israeli media said that the former president’s coffin will lie in state in the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, on Thursday ahead of his funeral on Friday.

Within hours of his death, tributes to Peres began from world leaders. In a statement, President Barack Obama described him as “the essence of Israel itself”.

Read Full Article>>

Related:

simon

Rights group was told staff could be arrested over visas if public launch of report accusing soldiers and police went ahead

The report accuses Thai soldiers and police of torture, including against suspected insurgents, government opponents and members of ethnic minorities.

The report accuses Thai soldiers and police of torture, including against suspected insurgents, government opponents and members of ethnic minorities. Photograph: Madaree Tohlala/AFP/Getty Images

Amnesty International has cancelled the public launch of a report on torture in Thailand after police in Bangkok warned the rights group that its representatives might be arrested and prosecuted for visa violations.

The report accuses Thai soldiers and police of torture, including of suspected insurgents, government opponents, alleged drug users and members of ethnic minorities.

The London-based advocacy group had flown in members of its UK team for the event, which was to be held at a hotel in central Bangkok and attended by diplomats, journalists and local human rights activists. Members of Thailand’s police special branch and the department of employment had also turned up.

Amnesty said it had been in close contact with the government in the weeks before the launch but it was informed on Wednesday that its foreign staff – the authors of the report – had the wrong visas.

An hour after the press conference was due to start, Nadthasiri Bergman, a Thai legal adviser to Amnesty, said the authorities “insist that they are not closing the event down, but they qualify that if representatives of Amnesty International speak there will be consequences and they will subject to arrest and prosecuted under Thai labour law”.

Despite the alleged threats, Yuval Gimbar, who researched the report, spoke to the media in the hotel lobby by the lifts, 20 metres from where the event was due to be held.

Read Full Article>>

Police say man pulled an object from his pocket, pointed it at officers and assumed a ‘shooting stance’

Protesters at the scene of the police shooting in El Cajon

Protesters at the scene of the police shooting in El Cajon. Photograph: Hayne Palmour IV/AP

Police in suburban San Diego have shot and killed an unarmed black man who they say pulled an object from his pocket, pointed it at officers and assumed a “shooting stance”.

One officer tried and failed to subdue the unidentified man with a stun gun before a second officer fired several times, said the El Cajon police chief, Jeff Davis. Davis would not say what the object was, but acknowledged it was not a weapon.

Before police announced the death, dozens of protesters gathered at the scene, with some claiming the man was shot with his hands raised. Police disputed the claims and produced a frame from cellphone video recorded by a witness that appeared to show the man in a shooting stance as two officers approached with weapons drawn.

This month, black men were shot and killed by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and in Charlotte, North Carolina, where violent protests broke out.

The El Cajon protest was angry but peaceful. Several dozen people, most of them black, gathered and some cursed at officers guarding the scene. They chanted “black lives matter!” and “hands up, don’t shoot!”…………………

A Facebook Live video shows the moments after an unarmed black man was shot by police in San Diego, California. Rumbie Mubaiwa posted the footage, which shows a distressed woman who says she’s the man’s sister. Police say the man pulled an object from his pocket, pointed it at officers and assumed a ‘shooting stance’

People embrace at the scene of the police shooting in El Cajon

People embrace at the scene of the police shooting in El Cajon. Photograph: Hayne Palmour IV/AP

……………. Another woman on the video who was wearing hospital-style work clothing said she was the man’s sister. She appeared distraught, repeatedly shrieking and crying, telling officers that she had called them to help her brother, whom she described as mentally ill.

“I just called for help, and you came and killed him,” she said.

Michael Ray Rodriguez was among the witnesses who said the man had his hands in the air. He said he had been driving out of his apartment complex and saw a shirtless black man with his hands raised.

The officer “let go of the trigger and shot him again and again”, Rodriguez told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Read Full Article>>

Announcement comes three weeks after Wells Fargo agreed to pay $185m in penalties after an audit found the bank used aggressive, illegal sales tactics

John Stumpf will also forfeit unvested equity awards worth about $41m, according to reports.

John Stumpf will also forfeit unvested equity awards worth about $41m, according to reports. Photograph: Susan Walsh/AP

Wells Fargo executives will forfeit millions of dollars in the wake of revelations that the bank’s sales quotas led to the creation of more than 2m unauthorized accounts.

The bank’s chief executive John Stumpf will forgo his salary for the coming months as independent directors launch a new investigation into Wells Fargo’s retail banking and sales practices.

Last year, Stumpf made about $19.3m. Stumpf will also forfeit unvested equity awards worth about $41m.

Carrie Tolstedt, who oversaw the retail banking at Wells Fargo while the unauthorized accounts were opened, was slated to receive as much as $124.6m after retiring this summer, according to Fortune. The bank said on Tuesday that she would not receive an undisclosed severance and would forfeit about $19m in unvested awards.

Less than three weeks ago, Wells Fargo announced that it had agreed to pay $185m in penalties after an audit found that its employees opened as many as 1.5m deposit accounts and 565,000 credit card accounts without customers’ consent. The accounts were opened by the bank’s staff in hopes of meeting their monthly sales quota and earning their incentive bonuses.

Wells Fargo workers have tried to draw attention to the “unreasonable” quotas

Read Full Article>>

US politics

Election 2016

Latest Election Minute

 

Stephen Colbert roasts Donald Trump’s ‘lies’ after presidential debate – video

Stephen Colbert, the host of The Late Show, was among many US late-night TV hosts to roast Donald Trump after his performance against Hillary Clinton in the first presidential debate. Colbert jokes that ‘you can use Trump’s lies to tell you if your microwave popcorn is done’, after Politico analysed a week’s worth of Trump’s speeches and found that the Republican nominee averaged one falsehood every three minutes and 15 seconds

Consensus: Clinton wins debate – but Trump is far from finished

Opinion: Trump fails the test The Guardian view on the US presidential debate

Trump ‘didn’t want to embarrass’ Clinton in debate – video

Late-night roasts Trump after debate: ‘His head doesn’t have room for facts

Trump called Alicia Machado ‘an eating machine’ on Howard Stern show – as it happened

Alicia Machado Miss Universe weight-shamed by Trump speaks out

Donald Trump blames debate ‘sniffles’ on bad microphone

City to expand renewable energy generation, improve efficiency of buildings, transition to electric vehicles and improve waste management to cut emissions

Solar panels on a Rockefeller Center rooftop in midtown Manhattan in New York.

Solar panels on a Rockefeller Center rooftop in midtown Manhattan in New York. Photograph: Mark Lennihan/AP

New York City has set out a plan to quicken its pace of decarbonization in order to meet its emissions reduction target, as the metropolis prepares for a daunting sea level rise due to climate change.

The proposals state that New York “must accelerate efforts” to expand renewable energy generation, improve the energy efficiency of buildings, transition to electric vehicles and improve waste management in order to meet its goal of cutting greenhouse gas emissions 80% by 2050, based on 2005 levels.

The city has already lowered its emissions by 12% and is set to almost treble this reduction by 2030, but the road map warns that these efforts are not enough and “we must continue to do more to reduce emissions in New York City and lead progress across the globe if we are all to avoid the worst impacts of climate change”.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said: “Locally, we have continued to drive down our emissions, but we have much more to do.”

New York is set to be increasingly challenged by sea level rises caused by melting glaciers and thermal expansion of the ocean as the planet warms. By 2100, sea levels could be up to 50 inches higher than today in New York, a scenario that has prompted the city to pledge billions of dollars for flood defenses and adaptation. Still, high-value property in Manhattan is considered a long-term risk, with some scientists believing that a managed retreat from parts of the city is inevitable.

The plan states that work on many fronts will be required to lower emissions, as retrofitting buildings or even a completely renewable-based energy grid won’t be enough by themselves to meet the target.

Read Full Article>>

untitled

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo