themcglynn.com

08 Mar

News and Analyses, A Foreign Perspective

English Online International Newspapers

For a change from the same old news stories from the same old news networks, here are links to English-edition online newspapers from other parts of the world. Nearly all of these are English-edition daily newspapers, with an emphasis on the Middle East and Asia. These sites have interesting editorials and essays, and many have links to other good news sources. We try to limit this list to those sites which are regularly updated, reliable, with a high percentage of “up” time.

Some of the available newspapers:

Asia & CIS

www.newscentralasia.com/

China

english.peopledaily.com.cn/home.html

China & Hong Kong

www.scmp.com/news

France

www.france24.com/en/france/

Israel

www.haaretz.com/

Norway

www.newsinenglish.no/category/news/

Palestine

english.pnn.ps/

Russia

english.pravda.ru/

Ukraine

www.ukrainianjournal.com/

 

untitled

France 24

French judge probes Church cover-up of child abuse

© Jeff Pachoud, AFP | Archbishop of Lyon Monseigneur Philippe Barbarin leading a religious procession in Lyon on December 8, 2015

A French judge has opened a preliminary investigation into “failure to report a crime” after the alleged victims of a paedophile priest said top Catholic officials covered up for him, judicial sources said Friday.

The victims alleged that senior figures in the diocese of Lyon, in eastern France, including Archbishop Philippe Barbarin failed to report the priest, who has been charged with sexually abusing minors between 1986 and 1991, to police.

A formal investigation was opened on January 27 after Bernard Preynat, the priest, admitted he sexually abused young Scouts over 25 years ago.

His lawyer, Federic Doyez, said Preynat told the judge that “the facts had been known by the church authorities since 1991”, when he was expelled from the independent Scouts group he had led for nearly 20 years.

In an interview earlier this year, Barbarin, 65, said he had been made aware of the priest’s behaviour “around 2007-8” and the Vatican earlier gave the cardinal its backing, saying it had confidence he would deal with the matter “with great responsibility”.

tg

Senior aide says US will disclose the number of terrorism suspects and civilians killed since 2009 in bid to bolster public support for controversial operations

The US government will release statistics showing the number of deaths that have resulted from counter-terrorism strikes since 2009. Speaking in Washington on Monday, president Obama’s counter-terrorism and homeland security adviser, Lisa Monaco, said the data would be broken down into terrorism suspects and civilian casualties, in the first disclosure of its kind since the controversial practice began

A senior White House aide has pledged to release how many terrorism suspects and civilian casualties the US has killed in its drone strikes since 2009, the first-ever disclosure surrounding the US’s most controversial lethal operations.

Lisa Monaco, Barack Obama’s counter-terrorism and homeland security adviser, said in a Washington speech on Monday that the expanded transparency would bolster public support for drone strikes and other counter-terrorism practices that she indicated would last “for years to come”.

The long-desired disclosure will cover strikes in undeclared US battlefields, such as Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and elsewhere, rather than the active war theaters of Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria. There was no specific date set for release, White House officials said, though Monaco said it will occur in the “coming weeks”.

“Not only is greater transparency the right thing to do, it is the best way to maintain the legitimacy of our counter-terrorism actions and the broad support of our allies,” Monaco told the Council on Foreign Relations on Monday.

As Monaco spoke, the Pentagon confirmed it had conducted a massive airstrike in Somalia that left 150 people dead, one the largest casualty totals in a US military attack of the post-9/11 era…………

White House disputes reports that it could not find a suitable date for Israeli PM, in a sign of tensions between two leaders

Binyamin Netanyahu had been expected to visit the US later in March on a trip coinciding with a major pro-Israeli group’s annual summit.

Binyamin Netanyahu had been expected to visit the US later in March on a trip coinciding with a major pro-Israeli group’s annual summit. Photograph: Ronen Zvulun/Reuters

Israeli prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu turned down the offer of a meeting with president Barack Obama, prompting a sharp response from the White House, in the latest evidence of the tense relations between the two leaders.

The abrupt decision by Netanyahu to cancel a visit to Washington later this month surprised US officials, who said they learned of the cancellation via the media.

The White House additionally disputed reports in the Israeli media that said Netanyahu cancelled the trip after the White House had been unable to find a date for a meeting that worked with Obama’s schedule, saying those suggestions were “false”.

The latest friction between Netanyahu and Obama – who have had a tense relationship, not least over the issue of Iran – came ahead of a visit by vice-president Joe Biden to Israel, when the issue of US military aid to the country is expected to be on the agenda.

Netanyahu had been expected to visit the US in March on a trip coinciding with a major pro-Israeli group’s annual summit.

The White House said Israel had proposed two dates for a meeting between the leaders and the US had offered to meet on one of those days.

“We were looking forward to hosting the bilateral meeting,” said Ned Price, a spokesman for the White House’s national security council……………

UNHCR says sending back refugees en masse to Turkey is not consistent with international law

People disembark from a ferry in Piraeus after being picked up from Greek islands in the Aegean.

People disembark from a ferry in Piraeus after being picked up from Greek islands in the Aegean. Photograph: Orestis Panagiotou/EPA

The UN refugee agency has said the European Union’s “quick fix” deal to send back refugees en masse to Turkey would contravene their right to protection under European and international law.

EU leaders welcomed Turkey’s offer on Monday to take back all migrants who cross into Europe from its soil and agreed in principle to Ankara’s demands for more money, faster EU membership talks and quicker visa-free travel in return.

Vincent Cochetel, Europe regional director of the UN high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR), said Europe’s commitment to resettle 20,000 refugees over two years, on a voluntary basis, remained “very low”.

“The collective expulsion of foreigners is prohibited under the European convention of human rights,” Cochetel told a news briefing in Geneva……………….

Court says Colorado City, Arizona, and Hildale, Utah, violated the constitutional rights of nonbelievers by denying them basic services such as water hookups

Hildale Utah polygamous towns

Community members attend a memorial service on 26 September 2015, in Hildale, Utah. Photograph: Rick Bowmer/AP

Two polygamous towns on the Utah-Arizona border violated the constitutional rights of nonbelievers by denying them basic services such as police protection, building permits and water hookups, a jury said on Monday.

The civil rights trial marks one of boldest efforts by the government to confront what critics have long said was a corrupt regime in Colorado City, Arizona, and Hildale, Utah. The towns were accused of doing the bidding of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a radical offshoot of mainstream Mormonism, which disavowed polygamy more than 100 years ago.

The jury, which reached a verdict on its fourth day of deliberations, awarded $2.2m to six residents eligible for damages. But the towns will only have to pay $1.6m because lawyers negotiated a settlement over that part of the case……………

Lou Vince, who is running in the state’s 25th district, says he was ‘exonerated’ by an investigation into the beating of a father of three which settled for $150,000

Vince has downplayed the suit. “People can allege anything they want to allege,” he told LA Weekly.

Vince has downplayed the suit. “People can allege anything they want to allege,” he told LA Weekly. Photograph: Stock Connection/REX

The California Democratic party has endorsed a former LAPD officer, who was previously sued for allegedly beating a black man following a traffic stop, in a race for a congressional seat.

According to the complaint, which was filed against him in 2001, Lou Vince, a former lieutenant in the Los Angeles Police Department, stopped Cecil Miller, who was driving with his pregnant wife and three young children in the car.

Vince then accused Miller of running over his foot, the complaint alleges, continuing that he and his partner Doug Gallick then pulled him from the car and “proceeded to slam plaintiff against his vehicle over and over”.

They then threw him to the sidewalk, the complaint states, and “as plaintiff was falling one officer held him up and the other began to punch him in the face.”

Miller suffered serious contusions to the side of his face.

Miller was charged with assaulting a police officer, but was acquitted. He then filed a lawsuit against Vince in federal court, which was settled for $150,000 in damages.

the counted

US politics

Election 2016

 

Opinion

Bill Bragg housing illustration

‘Tenants have to choose: will their belongings go into storage, or get tossed on to the kerb?’ Illustration: Bill Bragg

If you want to learn something about what’s driving America’s elections, take my advice. Sit out the TV screamathons. Block your ears to all talk about the size of Donald Trump’s … fingers. Instead, try what I did last week and spend a day watching people being evicted from their homes.

I was in Milwaukee and it was freezing, but still the crew gathered at 7am, coffee and cigarettes in hand. They came fully padded: hoodies, black jackets emblazoned on the back with the motto “Service With A Grunt”. They worked for Eagle Moving, a removals firm that specialises in evicting tenants on behalf of landlords, and that morning they had nine evictions to do.

In Milwaukee an eviction looks like this: two sheriff’s deputies – gun in one holster, Taser in the other – rap on the front door. The tenant, usually behind on the rent, is served with an orange notice and granted a few minutes to get themselves ready. They also have to choose: will their belongings go into storage, or get tossed on to the kerb?

Picking the first means your goods are stowed by Eagle for a monthly fee, a fee that the now-homeless tenants often can’t afford. I was taken on a tour of the company’s HQ and shown three stories of cookers, pianos, even motorbikes – each household’s belongings stuck on a pallet and wrapped in clingfilm, forming a ghostly museum of prosaic American desires. Around half was from evictions; and half of that, it was estimated, would never be reclaimed.

Go for kerbside, on the other hand, and everything you own is stuffed into cardboard boxes and chucked on the pavement for the neighbours to see. You can come back and get it, provided passersby and the weather haven’t got to it first.

Sometimes a family has already gone, leaving a small mound of whatever they couldn’t carry. Sometimes, other things are left behind – crew members told me about turning up at an eviction two weeks before, only to find the tenant had killed himself……………

untitled

untitledeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee21

Comments are closed.

© 2021 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo