themcglynn.com

05 Jul

News and Analyses, A Foreign Perspective

News and Analyses, A Foreign Perspective

English Online International Newspapers

Nearly all of these are English-edition daily newspapers. These sites have interesting editorials and essays, and many have links to other good news sources. We try to limit this list to those sites which are regularly updated, reliable, with a high percentage of “up” time.

A United States Marine has been charged with assaulting a public servant, aged in her 60s, at the Enoggera Barracks army base in Brisbane’s north-west.

The woman was allegedly dragged out of her car, assaulted by a man in a car park, and taken to hospital with serious injuries on Tuesday afternoon.

A 20-year-old man was arrested and charged by Queensland Police just after 3pm, reportedly with assistance from military police.

The man, a member of the United States Marine Corps, was charged with a serious assault in relation to a person over 60, wilful damage to the alleged victim’s car and assaulting police.

Police said a male police officer who tried to intervene in the assault was allegedly himself assaulted.

A Defence spokesperson confirmed an incident involving an Australian Public Service staff member occurred at Enoggera Barracks on Tuesday.

“The staff member was taken by ambulance to hospital and later released. For privacy reasons, Defence will not provide further information on the condition of the staff member,” the spokesperson said in a statement.

“Defence is providing support to the staff member.

“Queensland Police have charged a member of the United States Marine Corps in relation to this matter. As the investigation is ongoing it is not appropriate to comment further.”

The 20-year-old man is due to face court on July 18.

Abuse survivors react to Archbishop Wilson’s sentence – video

Source: ABC

Peter Gogarty and Daniel Feenan speak outside Newcastle local court after Philip Wilson was sentenced to 12 months’ detention for concealing child sexual abuse. The Adelaide archbishop is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be convicted over his failure to report to police the abuse of two altar boys by a paedophile priest in the 1970s. He is likely to be spared time in prison

Protester demonstrating against Trump administration immigration policies is apprehended by police after four-hour standoff

and agencies in New York

The McGlynn: That a way, Gal!!!!

Police arrested a woman who climbed the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty in a Fourth of July protest against the Trump administration’s immigration policies, and she is due to appear in court in New York on Thursday morning.

The climber huddled at the base of the monument, about 30 meters above the ground, and engaged in a four-hour standoff with police before two New York police department officers climbed up to the base and apprehended her.

With the dramatic scene unfolding on live television, officers followed the woman around the base after she attempted to start climbing the statue.

She was named in reports by federal officials on Wednesday night as Therese Okoumou and had been taken into federal custody. The Statue of Liberty is a national monument administered, on its tiny island off the tip of Manhattan, by the National Park Service.

After an almost four-hour standoff at the base of the statue on a sweltering Independence Day in New York, police who had erected and scaled ladders to reach the protester, grabbed her round the waist.

She had become cornered against the part of the statue depicting Liberty’s robes, up against the statue’s sandalled foot. After trying to climb up further, or sidle around the foot, the protester failed and was trapped against the tall, copper structure. Police held her down until she appeared to allow a harness to be slung around her.

She eventually climbed down about eight meters to the monument’s observation point and was taken into custody.

“She’s been taken into custody amicably, peacefully, without any injuries, or injuries to our officers, thank God. It’s all over now,” Sgt David Somma, a spokesman for the National Park Service, said. He added that prosecutors would determine any charges filed against the woman.

Visitors were evacuated from Liberty Island during the standoff on Wednesday afternoon. Okoumou is expected to appear in federal court in Manhattan on Thursday, according to the office of the US attorney.

A federal official said the protester had told police she was protesting against the separation of immigrant children from parents who cross the US-Mexico border unlawfully.

Earlier in the day at least six protesters were arrested at the monument after hanging a banner from the pedestal emblazoned with a message about abolishing Ice, the US immigration enforcement agency.

Associated Press

Activists with the group Rise and Resist said they had hung the banner to protest against the Trump administration and its “zero-tolerance” immigration policy, which has caused families to be separated at the border.

Okoumou appeared to be wearing a Rise and Resist T-shirt. The group initially said her action was not part of the earlier demonstration but later said the climber had been involved in that demonstration but her climb was not part of the group’s plan.

Read Full Article

The administration officials are said to have taken turns in trying to talk the president out of the idea in August of last year

Donald Trump speaking to the press with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, left, ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and National Security Advisor HR McMaster on 11 August 2017, at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey.

Donald Trump speaking to the press with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, left, ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and National Security Advisor HR McMaster on 11 August 2017, at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey. Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

Donald Trump repeatedly raised the possibility of invading Venezuela in talks with his top aides at the White House, according to a new report.

Trump brought up the subject of an invasion in public in August last year, saying: “We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option, if necessary.” But the president’s musings about the possibility of a US invasion were more extensive and persistent than that public declaration, according to the Associated Press.

The previous day Trump reportedly took his top officials by surprise in an Oval Office meeting, asking why the US could not intervene to remove the government of Nicolas Maduro on the grounds that Venezuela’s political and economic unraveling represented a threat to the region.

Quoting an unnamed senior administration official, the AP report said the suggestion stunned those present at the meeting, which included the then national security advisor, HR McMaster, and secretary of state, Rex Tillerson. Both have since left the administration.

The administration officials are said to have taken turns in trying to talk him out of the idea, pointing out that any such military action would alienate Latin American allies who had supported the US policy of punitive sanctions on the Maduro regime.

Their arguments do not seem to have dissuaded the president.

A grim-faced Tillerson stood alongside Trump the next day at his New Jersey golf course at Bedminster as the president warmed to his theme.

“We have many options for Venezuela, this is our neighbour,” Trump said.

“We’re all over the world and we have troops all over the world in places that are very very far away, Venezuela is not very far away and the people are suffering and dying. We have many options for Venezuela including a possible military option if necessary.”

The White House announced later it had refused to take a call from Maduro. The Venezuelan defence minister, Vladimir Padrino, described Trump’s threat as an “act of craziness” and “supreme extremism”.

In the weeks that followed, Trump remained preoccupied with the idea of an invasion, according to AP. Shortly after the Bedminister remarks, he raised the issue with the Colombian President, Juan Manuel Santos, and then brought it up again at that year’s UN general assembly in September, at a private dinner with allied Latin American states.

At that dinner, Trump made clear he was ignoring the advice of his aides.

“My staff told me not to say this,” Trump said and then asked the other leaders at the table in turn, if they were sure they didn’t want a military solution.

McMaster finally succeeding in persuading Trump of the dangers of an invasion, the report said, and the president’s interest in the notion subsided.

Trump’s approach to military intervention has been erratic. He has been insistent on bringing troops back from Syria, and his administration is pushing to draw down troops in Europe. But Venezuela is not the only country he has threatened directly. Last year, he warned North Korea of impending “fire and fury” and total destruction if the country threatened the US with its nuclear weapons and missiles. After his summit with Kim Jong-un last month in Singapore, however, Trump presented military conflict as unthinkable, pointing out it would cost millions of lives.

Read Full Article

World Politics

United States

‘Angry Trump baby balloon’ mascot for London action, with protests happening across UK

Sadiq Khan and Donald Trump.

The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, gave permission for the Trump baby balloon to fly across Westminster. Photograph: PA

Campaign groups and trade unions have organised a schedule of protests to follow Donald Trump on his visit to the UK next week, including a giant angry baby balloon that will fly over Westminster from Parliament Square.

Demonstrations begin next Thursday evening at Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, and in Regent’s Park, London, near to where the protesters believe the president will have dinner, and then at the US ambassador’s residence, where they believe he will stay the night.

The “Trump baby” balloon is due to fly on the Friday morning, after campaigners raised £16,000 to pay for it and the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, gave permission for it to fly. “The mayor supports the right to peaceful protest and understands that this can take many different forms,” a spokesman for Khan said.

Leo Murray, an environmental campaigner behind the balloon stunt, said the idea behind the protest was to play on Trump’s psychology. “He’s a deeply insecure man, and that is the only leverage we have over him. If we want his attention, we have to do something that humiliates him.”

Further protests will take place on Friday morning near Chequers, the country house where it is thought Trump will meet Theresa May for breakfast, with the main demonstration in London starting outside the BBC’s headquarters at 2pm and ending in Trafalgar Square at 5pm, where organisers hope “very large numbers” will attend.

Details of the protests, listed on Facebook, are being organised by a coalition called Together Against Trump. Its membership includes the TUC and trade unions, Stop the War, Friends of the Earth, CND and the Jeremy Corbyn-supporting grassroots group, Momentum.

The Labour leader, however, is not expected to attend the protests personally, although the party is opposed to Trump’s official visit to the UK and it expects many members to attend the protests. “People will make their feelings known,” a party spokesman said.

Trump is then expected to visit Scotland, the birthplace of his mother and where he owns two golf courses. There will be demonstrations on Friday evening in Glasgow and again on Saturday in Edinburgh at noon, where organisers promise a “carnival of resistance” against Trump with stalls, talks, music and games such as “Toss the welly at Trump”, “Trump’s head coconut shy” and, of course, “Mini golf”.

Trump is flying into the UK following the Nato summit in Brussels next week, before heading off to a summit with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in Helsinki, Finland, on 16 July, a day after the World Cup final in Moscow. While Trump is in the UK, he will also meet the Queen, at either Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace.

A spokesperson for Together Against Trump said: “We regard it as a victory that Donald Trump does not appear to have any official engagements in London or anywhere with a large population. Instead he will stay hidden away in country estates and castles.”

Read Full Article

Trump-Russia: more election meddling evidence found, says Senate panel>>

US and Russian officials hold ‘frank’ talks before Trump-Putin summit>>

Trump defends tariffs despite signs of trouble in global markets>>

Share

Comments are closed.

© 2020 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo